……for most people ( not all unfortunately) it is …..
- It is an up and down journey – episodes, NOT just downhill destruction.
- The episodes are about “repair & remodelling” : healing if you like ! “wear & repair ” rather than “wear and tear”
- You can manage it BUT the self management is for LIFE not just for while it hurts or you are on “therapy”.
- You have every reason to be positive: YES it is painful …..YES it makes life difficult. BUT being as active as you can, getting specific exercises AND advice form your GP and in particular from a PHYSIOTHERAPIST.
- Medication can be very helpful, supports and insoles occasionally helpful to.
- Will loosing weight and looking at my diet help ……..
……………YES it will, but getting a little fitter, more mobility in your knee and strengthening up the right muscles – these are more important.
the NHS has some very useful links, exercise sheets and videos.
look for an ESCAPE PAIN exercise group they are specifically for lower limb arthritis – there is probably a group in your area. Ask at your GP & local fitness centres.