STAYING POSITIVE WITH PAIN: irrespective of the cause
Become a COPER
The information below will help you to become a Coper and
prevent unnecessary suffering. Follow these guidelines –
You really can help yourself!
Live life as normally as possible. This is much better than staying in bed.
• Keep up daily activities – they will not cause damage. Just avoid really heavy things.
• Try to stay fit – walking, cycling or swimming will exercise your back and should make you feel better. And continue even after your back
• Start gradually and do a little more each day so you can see the progress you are making.
• Either stay at work or go back to work as soon as possible. If necessary, ask if you can get lighter duties for a week or two.
• Be patient. It is normal to get aches or twinges for a time. Don’t just rely on pain killers.
Stay positive and take control of the pain yourself – try not let the pain control you
• Don’t stay at home or give up doing things you enjoy.
• Don’t worry, It does not mean you are going to become an invalid.